1. Clarity – Eighty percent of success comes from being clear on who you are, what you believe in and what you don’t.
2. Competence – You can’t climb to the next rung on the ladder until you are excellent at what you do now.
3. Constraints – Eighty percent of all obstacles to success come from within. Find out what is constraining you or your company and deal with it.
4. Concentration – The ability to focus on one thing single-minded and see it through until it’s done takes more character than anything else.
5. Creativity – Flood your life with ideas from many sources. Creativity needs to be exercised like a muscle, if you don’t use it you’ll lose it.
6. Courage – Most in demand and least in supply, courage is the willingness to do the things you know are right.
7. Continuous learning – Read, at the very least, one book a week on business to keep you miles ahead of the competition. And just as you eat and bathe, organize your time so you spend 30 minutes a day exploring e-mail, sending messages, going through websites, because like exercise, it’s the only way you can keep on top of technology. If you get away from it, you’ll lose your edge.